February 15, 2017
Founded in 1962, the Buell Foundation is a private foundation dedicated to supporting the positive development of children across the state of Colorado through grants and partnerships with nonprofit organizations. Grants are awarded in the areas of early childhood development and teen pregnancy prevention. Since inception, the Buell Foundation has awarded more than $130 million in grants.
The Program Officer has the primary relationships with nonprofit organizations applying to the Foundation for grants. All aspects of the grant review process are completed by the Program Officer. The Program Officer is expected to contribute to programmatic ideas and actively participate in all aspects of the Foundation’s work. This position reports to the Executive Director.
- Reviews and analyzes assigned grant applications, conducts site visits, and composes evaluations, including recommendations.
- Works with individual grantees to identify, implement, and prioritize appropriate quality improvement efforts and evaluation.
- Builds and maintains active, positive relationships with grantseekers and grant recipients.
- Represents the Buell Foundation in its interaction with philanthropic colleagues, nonprofit organizations, public officials, and the general public at various activities and meetings.
- Acquires and maintains a breadth of knowledge relative to the primary focus area of the Foundation (currently early childhood development).
- Undertakes special projects as assigned or initiated.
Required Competencies and Skills
- Energetic, dependable, and flexible.
- Willingness to take on new challenges and learn new skills as needed to perform duties in an efficient manner.
- Commitment to being an enthusiastic and collaborative member of a small, cross-functional team.
- Excellent organizational skills and meticulous attention to detail.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, including ability to create documents at the highest level of writing standards, excellent editing skills, and ability to build relationships with stakeholders, including staff, board members, external partners, and grantees.
- Ability to meet deadlines, manage multiple tasks, and adjust to changing priorities.
- Proficiency in common office software, including Outlook, Word, Excel, etc.
- Team player ready to pitch in wherever needed.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Minimum five years of experience in the nonprofit or public sector required.
- Candidates with previous grantmaking experience strongly preferred.
- Knowledge in the field of early childhood strongly preferred.
- Familiarity with the state of Colorado, and rural counties in particular, preferred.
- Experience and comfort working in a small office that is team-oriented, mission-driven, and strives for excellence.
- Office hours are Monday through Friday 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Professional office environment.
- Workload will fluctuate due to deadlines and changing priorities.
- Extensive keyboard and computer monitor use.
- Exposure to sensitive and confidential information.
- Physical demands may involve lifting materials and equipment up to 25 pounds.
- Travel in personal vehicle or rental vehicle procured by the Foundation is required as needed to appropriately review grant applications and attend meetings throughout the state. Generally, this travel is limited to three to five weeks annually.
- Occasional evening and weekend work may be required during specified times of the year.
- This is an exempt, full-time position.
- Pay is commensurate with experience. The Buell Foundation provides a generous benefits package, including paid vacation and sick leave, medical insurance, dental insurance, and retirement plan.
- Deadline Date: March 3, 2017 or until filled.
- All applications should be emailed to Victoria Simmons at email@example.com. Please include “Buell Program Officer Application” in subject line of emails. Applications should include the following:
- A cover letter detailing the applicant’s match with the position requirements
- Preferred salary range
- Contact information for three business references, one of whom is/was an immediate supervisor with firsthand knowledge of applicant’s professional abilities
- No phone calls, please.